Google Deprecation Announcement & Esri
- This was a noteworthy and unexpected development for us, like it was for just about everyone else.
- At the same time, we didn't see Google getting all that much traction or beating Esri/the ArcGIS platform in many deals. Our hunch is underperformance was the impetus behind Google's strategy shift. We think Esri's response/approach is sensible, for reasons others have well covered.
- Notwithstanding consumer mindshare, we've always figured intelligent, up-to-date information (flowing from their epic data collection programs) is probably at the heart of Google's significance in the GIS industry.
- There's been lots of good discussion and hypothesizing by others, including our friends at Spatial IQ. Frankly, we haven't posted anything until now because we don't have a lot to add that hasn't been said already and, even more, we're so focused on Esri technology we're the first to admit we're not an unbiased or disinterested party.
- Ultimately, for us, this serves as a reminder that over the long haul, core focus is what counts.
Anyway, comments welcomed. Please be aware I’m overseas through the end of the week and may be slow to reply/acknowledge.