We're Internet Geographers, but sometimes our customers ask us questions like, "What Content Management System works best with your software?". They can be complicated questions to answer because it really depends on what your needs are. Do you need multiple authentication methods? What's your budget? Who will be managing the content, are they web-savvy? What are your privacy needs?
Last April, we faced similar questions when we decided to build a Support Site that would focus on our ArcGIS-generation software. After much deliberation, we decided to use Microsoft’s Sharepoint.
Some of the reasons we selected Sharepoint:
- offers integration with existing systems
- can handle multiple authentication types
- written using a language we work with every day
- has several levels of authentication
- has easy WYSIWYG windows for text input
- can handle file management
As it turns out, it does all of these things in varying degrees, out-of-the-box. I’ll be posting several blog entries over the coming months, describing some of the ways we’ve found to accomplish our business goals using Sharepoint.